Sunday, May 12, 2013

Whose Voices Are Not Heard?

36,812 people live in Richmond, according to the 2010 census. There are many communities living in Richmond. There are so many different people existing in layers in one place here. When I follow my set habits, where I go and the people I see are all the same. The people with a platform, who are often the loudest, are a small sample of our community. I wonder whose voices are we not hearing in Richmond? Whose stories are not widely told? Purportedly this fall, Chimamanda Adichie will be visiting Richmond at Earlham College. She gave a talk on "The Dangers of a Single Story" at a TED conference a few years ago.

She said, "I've always felt that it is impossible to engage properly with a place or a person without engaging with all of the stories of that place and that person."




If I have learned anything in beginning this blog, it is that Richmond is full of stories.

We certainly take a shine to our history, but there is more to Richmond than that- so much is happening here now. We are active in forming a community history in each decision we make as a resident of this place. I want to own that responsibility, and I want to be proud of myself and my hometown.

How can we engage with our community? How can we avoid the dangers of a single story?

Mix it up, Richmond! Say hello to someone new. Try a different restaurant. Walk down a different path. Empower each other and share your voice. Be an active listener. Surprise someone and let someone surprise you. 

<3 Your Local Gal


No comments:

Post a Comment